Thanks to our amazing supporters, we raised $113,662 at the 2012 Buddy Walk!
The 18th Annual Down Syndrome Association of Central Oklahoma (DSACO) Buddy Walk® was held at the Chickasaw Bricktown Ballpark on Sept 29, and this year DSACO raised approximately $113,662! Despite the rain, more than 4,500 people attended the annual event, which was one of over 250 Walks being held across the country this fall to raise awareness and funds for programs that benefit people with Down syndrome.
This year’s Buddy Walk included; games, an exotic animal petting zoo, a luau, face painting, cake walk, and moon bounces. There were also special appearances made by Rumble the Bison, the Thunder Girls, Derrick the Wildcat, Cooper the Redhawk and the UCO cheerleaders. (View our 2012 Buddy Walk Photo Gallery here.)
Funds raised at this year’s event will help DSACO continue programs for our families such as:
- Distribution of new parent packets
- The Lending Library
- Annual conference, workshops and statewide conferences with local and nationals speakers for the benefit of caregivers/parents/educators/medical professionals
- Governmental affairs focusing on local, state and national legislation and policy
- Scholarships for families and self-advocates to attend National Down Syndrome Congress convention
- Parent to Parent support groups (including Spanish speaking support)
- Teen and Adult Programs
Thank you to our 2012 Buddy Walk Sponsors!
American Fidelity Foundation, BancFirst, CoBank, Danny’s Energy Services, Enogex, Etrack Corp, Gable Law, Integris Health, New Sources, Pinnack Business Systems, The Walmart Foundation, Hertz and Weokie Credit Union Foundation.