Apply to be a DSACO Representative for 2019 Buddy Walk on Washington!
Download Application HERE
DSACO strives to take an active part in advocating for policies that may improve the lives of our families touched by Down syndrome and others with disabilities. Almost every year a representative from DSACO is selected to attend the NDSS Buddy Walk® on Washington. It is an annual two-day advocacy conference that brings the Down syndrome community together to advocate for legislative priorities that impact the lives of people with Down syndrome and their families. During the NDSS Buddy Walk® on Washington, advocates meet with members of Congress and their staff on Capitol Hill to advance education, research and healthcare for people with Down syndrome. Registration for the 2019 Buddy Walk® on Washington is now open. The 2019 Buddy Walk on Washington will be held at the Sheraton Pentagon City in Arlington, VA on March 5-6, 2019.
If you are interested in applying to be a DSACO representative/advocate to this event with expenses paid by the organization, please send in your application by December 23, 2019. Once applications are received and candidates are narrowed down, a phone and/or inperson interview may conducted to choose the final candidate(s). Please send applications to:
DSACO Buddy Walk on Washington Committee
521 W Wilshire Blvd. Suite 130
OKC, OK 73116
Or email to firstname.lastname@example.org
DSACO Assistance for Buddy Walk on Washington Guidelines & Eligibility
In order to be eligible to be the DSACO Buddy Walk on Washington Representative, applicants:
- Must have Down syndrome or be an immediate family member such as parent, legal guardian, sibling, a grandparent or a professional who works with a person(s) with Down syndrome.
- Must live within the DSACO outreach area.
- Must sign and agree to the consent form located at the bottom of the application in order to be considered. Under certain circumstances, if the assistance recipient withdraws, he/she will be required to repay the event assistance amount received.
- Must report to the Governmental Affairs Committee and/or Executive Committee about the event by one or more of the following within 90 days of returning from the convention:
- Written report of the events and the contacts made during the event
- Verbal report of the events and the contacts made during the event
- Must complete the Assistance Report and send in copies of receipts.
If you are applying for assistance, you cannot be involved in the application selection process.
All funds will be paid directly to the event assistance recipient no later than June 23, 2019.
DSACO will reimburse up to $1,000 of travel expenses. For self-advocates, additional funding may be available for support staff.
Failure of the event assistance recipient to comply with the policies governing this assistance may be grounds for denial of any future consideration by DSACO for any of its programs.
Selection process may require an interview.
Event assistance recipients will be notified by phone, email or mail by December 23, 2018.
Applicants are responsible for registering/coordinating all travel plans related to this event.
Other terms and conditions may apply.
***Application must be postmarked by December 23, 2018. ***
Send applications to 521 W Wilshire Blvd. Suite 130 OKC, OK 73116 or email to Info@DSACO.org. For additional information regarding convention assistance, please contact the DSACO office at 405-600-9981. Applications will be available on the DSACO website, www.dsaco.org. For additional information regarding the NDSS Buddy Walk® on Washington, please contact the National Down Syndrome Society at 800-221-4602,via email at email@example.com or visit their website… http://www.ndss.org/Advocacy/Buddy-Walk-on-Washington/.
Note The NDSS Buddy Walk® on Washington is not an actual walk but was given its name to maintain the message of the National Buddy Walk® Program – to raise awareness and inclusion for people with Down syndrome. The funds raised by the National Buddy Walk® Program directly support the annual Buddy Walk® on Washington and the work that NDSS does in Washington, DC.